Monday, May 18, 2009

To Write or Garden...

I spent the weekend at the SCBWI Western Washington Writing & Illustrating for Children Conference. It was amazing! I got to listen to talented, published authors and illustrators speak, including one of my all-time favorites, Jon Scieszka. And agents and editors gave great advice about the business side of writing.

It's always inspiring to me to be in the company of so many other writers. To hear about their struggles and successes, and simply, just to listen to a great story. I also love seeing the work of the illustrators, because in the end, even though my writing doesn't have illustrations, I want it to create a picture, an image that just won't leave the reader alone. And I find that so many things - in addition to great books - influence my writing, such as art, music, and of course gardening.

Ahhh gardening. Another beautiful weekend spent without you. Lily hung out with her daddy, Greg and her Nana. They watered for me and enjoyed the lazy days in the yard. I came home rejuvenated. And I came home with a TALL pile of new books, including two wonderful picture books about trees and gardening, A Grand Old Tree, by Mary Newell DePalma, & Busy In the Garden, by George Shannon, pictures by Sam Williams.

No comments:

Post a Comment