Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Appreciating the Moment


So much of the time I feel like I don't get nearly enough done in the garden. And gardening with Lily often heightens that feeling. Gardening with her is a bit like watching the monkeys at the zoo; they're here and there and swinging and flying and chasing and never sitting still. I spend more time chasing her around and trying to persuade her to spit the rocks out of her mouth, than actually planting, or weeding or fertilizing, blah, blah, blah.

But when I think about it, even the days I do get to the garden chores, no matter how much I get done, it remains unfinished, always. Plus, there are moments with Lily in the garden that I wouldn't trade for all the perfectly manicured gardens in the world. Last night I happened to look up on the porch where she was playing with some new cauliflower, lavender and sage starts I just bought, and she is spontaneously playing peek-a-boo with me behind the plants.

1 comment: